Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ladylike Chic


By Allison Jackson

Between Michelle Obama’s interpretation of First Lady power dressing and the gorgeous costume design on the insanely watchable AMC series Mad Men, these days I can’t escape finding myself so drawn to everything retro ladylike.

So… when I sat down at the computer a few weeks ago to peruse the new collections offered by all the best wedding gown designers, I stopped when I got to Amsale’s  Calista gown. I couldn’t stop looking at it.  It’s so simple and ladylike, yet so striking.  It reminded me of something my fashion-forward mother would have worn in the 50s, but it also reminded me of the style of some of my favorite Pineapple brides.

Cate is one of those brides.  She was married a few years ago, before Michelle Obama began to be photographed so often wearing double strand pearls and sleeveless sheaths.  But like Mrs. Obama, Cate has impeccable style.  She resembles Grace Kelly, both in her appearance and in the way she carries herself.  And in her very well-mannered way, she wrote me probably one of the nicest thank you notes I have ever received.  Not only were her words so genuine and well expressed, but she also took the time to personalize the notecard with pretty sketches of her favorite wedding details.  How thoughtful and how truly ladylike.

Cate’s wedding style absolutely suited her personal style.  I fell in love with the outfit she selected for her bridesmaids – a flouncy party skirt paired with the perfect white blouse and double strand pearls.  Cate turned a retro look into something distinctive and fresh.



It’s a minor detail, but I also loved how Cate changed into a proper going away outfit.  Notice the lovely sheath dress and effortlessly wrapped Hermes scarf. 



 Another recent bride who embraced retro ladylike style as her wedding look is Lizanne.  Elizabeth had the fortunate opportunity to work with Lizanne, and since the time the pictures became available, I have not stopped appreciating this bride’s choices in wedding style.  Lizanne’s style was feminine, formal and subtly retro.  She selected a regal palette of matte gold and sophisticated pastels – perfect for the grandeur of the Cosmos Club, which served as the reception venue.  One of my favorite details from Lizanne’s wedding was the impressive tower of champagne coupes styled by Elizabeth with the help of Liz Waylan at DC Rental.  I love the choice of the sheer organza linen atop the wrought iron table.  So dreamy.

The inspiration board below features images evoking retro ladylike style, including the aforementioned Amsale gown, as well as photos from both Cate and Lizanne’s weddings.  Enjoy!




 First Row:  Lizanne’s wedding cake by Sylvia Weinstock (photo courtesy of Lynne Brubaker); response card from Ceci New York; jeweled pumps from Southern Weddings; living room designed by Amelia Handegan from Southern Accents

Second Row:  Cate’s bridesmaids (photo courtesy of Lynne Brubaker); gown by Amsale; Lizanne’s needlepoint ring pillow (photo courtesy of Lynne Brubaker)

Third Row:  Lizanne’s bridesmaid’s bouquet designed by Dragonfly (photo courtesy of Lynne Brubaker); Grace Kelly at the Academy Awards in 1956

Fourth Row:  Limoges porcelain plate by William Yeoward; Lizanne’s champagne tower (photo courtesy of Lynne Brubaker); pink satin clutch by Franchi; Hermes silk/cashmere shawl


1 comment:

  1. I liked the Amsale Calista wedding gown a lot. I am getting married in September and I think I will wear this to my wedding. What kind of a hairstyle would go well with this? Thanks.

    Love,Selda

    ReplyDelete