Monday, November 2, 2009

Game Night

By Liza Tanner
This dreary weather makes me want to hole up in my apartment and hibernate until the spring thaw.  I’m fighting that instinct, though, and instead inviting friends over for Game Night.  What is better on a rainy night than playing board games with friends and enjoying some comfort food?  I will be the first to admit that I can get a bit too competitive at times, though!  Here are my top 10 games for a fun-filled night:
  1. Cranium
  2. Apples to Apples
  3. Scrabble
  4. Trivial Pursuit
  5. Monopoly
  6. Twister
  7. Scattergories
  8. Taboo
  9. Balderdash
  10. Clue

With all of this acting, drawing, miming and inevitable laughing, Game Night munchies are a must, so there will be bowls of chips and salsa and popcorn around the room for the nervous nibblers.  Then we’ll take a break from the fun to enjoy my favorite cold-weather cuisine: a delicious Santa Fe Soup recipe that my aunt Debbie gave me.  I love the recipe because it’s simple, allowing me to concentrate on winning rather than fussing over it all night.  Santa Fe Soup is always a crowd pleaser and it will make more than enough, so that I’ll have leftovers to enjoy during the week! 


Santa Fe Soup
2 lb ground meat (I use half beef/half turkey)
1 large onion

1 oz package of ranch seasoning
1 oz package of taco seasoning
16 oz can diced tomatoes with chilis
16 oz can diced tomatoes
16 oz can pinto beans
16 oz can kidney beans
16 oz can black beans
16 oz package frozen white corn

Brown the meat with the diced onion.  Drain the grease, then mix in the seasoning packets.  Add all of the beans and corn, with the liquid.  Cook on low for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.  Top with sour cream, scallions and/or Tabasco to taste.


Enjoy!  And good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment